The Emotional Pumpkin

感情的な南瓜

Friday, August 05, 2005

Let me begin by apologizing in advance to

all of my out-of-state friends. You know, the ones I am about to make fun of.

You ever notice that people who don't live someplace tend to give it nicknames or shorten its name? But the people who actually live there don't do it? I don't know what it is, but for some reason, a bunch of my out-of-state friends call California "Cali". Now, I don't know one person who actually lives in California who calls it Cali. It's just not done. They'll use the whole name more often than not, or CA, the state abbreviation, in a pinch. But never Cali.

Take San Francisco. No locals or city residents call it "Frisco" (I have met someone from the East Bay who called it Frisco once, but I put that down to a moment of insanity). Usually we just call it the city. San Francisco, sure. SF for short, or even, rarely, San Fran, but never, ever, Frisco.

What's up with that? Weird.

Update 08/05/2005 12:15 - Case in point: The Notorious B.I.G.'s "Going Back to Cali". He used both "Cali" and "Frisco" in that song. Where was he from? Wait for it...Brooklyn. I rest my case.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My dad says "Frisco" and it makes me cringe. I've never heard people use it here in the city, but maybe I'm not hanging out with the young and hip.

11:39 AM  
Blogger Richa said...

I guess I'm not, either.

12:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that a lot of hip-hop artists use the phrase "cali" and that is why other people do. I know it is in the famous 2Pac/Dr Dre song "California Love" which is still played a lot.

12:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Re: Update... which is why I used a west coast example. :)

12:38 PM  
Blogger Richa said...

Yeah, yeah, I know. I still think it's lame, though.

1:57 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

While we are at it-
It is Orange County not “The O.C.” The only people that live in Orange County and call it “The O.C.” have it tattooed on their neck next to their white pride Nazi scum bag symbols. Even then they tattoo may say it but I doubt the words come of of their stupid mouths.

6:25 AM  
Blogger beetle said...

I thought "going back to cali" was LL Cool J.
But what do I know. Just a mid-western white girl after all.

6:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home