The Emotional Pumpkin

感情的な南瓜

Tuesday, March 22, 2005

One more time, with feeling

So I got a call yesterday from the California chapter of NOW. They were looking for donations to help them lobby against conservative judicial nominations for the Supreme Court by the Bush administration. Now, I'm a single female living in one of the most better-dead-than-red1 areas of the country. I have a more-or-less solid Democratic voting record, and have been known on occasion to contribute to charity. I'm pro-choice and against the Bush administration's attempts to get the Christian right a stronger foothold in the highest court in the land2. They should have had me in the bag. Instead, the NOW representative began by reading some inflammatory and blatantly false anti-Republican rhetoric about the "false election" and "losing Roe v. Wade". And within 5 seconds, she lost me. I was disgusted. I don't want to keep harping on this, but here it is again. Even given my demographic information, I think it's folly for these far-left political groups looking for my money or my vote to assume that I agree with them. It's the complacency that kills me. If they are so good at alienating someone who is pretty close to exactly ideologically aligned with them, how will they be at getting the support of someone who's more moderate than me?

1 A clever turn of phrase borrowed from this Rolling Stone article mentioned in a post I linked earlier.

2 For the record, I'm against the far left getting more of a foothold in the Supreme Court, also. Most of America is solidly between the two extremes and I think that ideologically, the Supreme Court justices should represent that. Besides, ideology should not make much of a difference when getting into the nuts and bolts of interpreting law.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home