The Emotional Pumpkin

感情的な南瓜

Saturday, October 02, 2004

I've finally finished the

Reimann Hypothesis book. It took me a lot longer than it takes me to read fiction, of course because it was something that really required more thought. Especially in the later chapters of the book, I found myself pausing every few paragraphs to think about why what the author said was true, or flipping back and forth looking for diagrams, formulae, etc. Either way, it was a very well written book, and did a great job of simplifying some very complex mathematics. As someone who has taken more mathematics than is required to understand the book--
I think I have pitched my book to the level of a person who finished high school math satisfactorily and perhaps went on to a couple of college courses. [...] I claim at least this much: I don't believe the Reimann Hypothesis can be explained using math more elementary than I have used here, so if you don't understand the Hypothesis after finishing my book, you can be pretty sure you will never understand it.

--I at times found myself a bit frustrated that, because the author glossed over some of the more complex math (or at least the more complex math that I can claim to understand a bit of), I didn't really understand some assertion or other. I guess this means I'll have to go to some real textbooks to learn about this more in depth.

Next up: The second book in Carol Berg's The Bridge of D'Arnath series. However, since it's been over a year since I finished the first one, I might have to reread that one first. Either way, I'm quite looking forward to it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home