The Emotional Pumpkin

感情的な南瓜

Thursday, September 16, 2004

OK, I know you're probably sick of this by now,

but I am just letting you know that I have now heard enough to say without a doubt that the memos were forged. In addition to the already compelling typographical analysis I posted on earlier, the two following sites establish definitively that of the three typewriters capable of proportional spacing and/or changeable type elements in 1972-3, neither the IBM Selectric nor the Executive, nor yet the fancy Selectric Composer--whose expense would have been prohibitive when it came to supplying administrative military offices anyway, but which I include for argument's sake--could have been used to type the memos.

I cannot imagine why CBS is still defending this story; if pressed, I guess I would agree with most other assessments that they are for some reason trying to protect their source, whoever it is; if they admit that the memos are forgeries, they have no reason to protect their source, and indeed a compelling reason to reveal his/her identity. It just seems obvious to me that they ought to cut their losses and come clean if they are at all interested in getting back any shred of the public trust. (Via The Volokh Conspiracy)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home